Halllooooo melty brie grilled cheese goodness! A while ago while watching Saturday morning cartoons with my kids, I saw an Elmer Fudd ‘music video’ where he serenades a grilled cheese. At first I thought this was too weird to be on kids TV as he was really seducing that grilled cheese but I also kinda knew what he was singing about. Is there anything as delicious as a really, REALLY good grilled cheese? I get you Elmer, I get you.
There’s something about melted cheese in general that just draws people in like a moth to a flame. Add crisp bacon and sweet, caramelised onions and you have perfection on bread. This is what I promise with this sandwich. Nothing fancy. Nothing ground breaking. Just a damn good grilled cheese sandwich.
How to make a Brie grilled cheese
I think Brie is the perfect grilled cheese, cheese. It has that perfect melty, oozy quality and the flavor is just perfect paired with with the smoky salty bacon and the sweet, caramelized onions. The onions are super easy to make and really just requires time for the onions to break down and to get all sweet and sticky with the sugar and the vinegar. It’s the kind of thing I make in bulk and use in everything from sandwiches to pasta bakes.
To make the grilled cheese, good bread goes a long way and I always like to use sourdough or a good country loaf whenever I can. Butter the bread well on both sides (you could also use mayo on the outside as this results in a perfectly golden toasted exterior) and then simply layer your fillings and grill in a medium-hot pan until the cheese is all kinds of gooey and the bread is golden brown and crisp. So easy. SO delicious!
- 2 large onions sliced
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 250 g bacon cooked until crisp
- 120 g brie cheese sliced
- 8 slices bread of your choice
- To make the caramelised onions, heat a large frying pan over medium heat then sauté the onions in the olive oil with the salt until soft and golden. Add the sugar and vinegar and allow to caramelise. Set aside.
- To make the sandwich, butter the bread on both sides then top with the onions, brie cheese and bacon.
- Grill in a hot pan/sandwich press until golden brown and heated through.
- Serve immediately.